Downeast Cider: Original Blend
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see our Affiliate Disclosure.
Basic Info about the Cider
Cidery: Downeast Cider
Origin: Boston, MA, USA
Alcohol by volume: 5.1%
Color: Orange/yellow with cloudiness (looks like orange juice)
Our Review of the Cider
Julia's Thoughts and Rating:
The Original Blend from Downeast is unfiltered, which gives the cider a cloudy appearance and more orangey color than most ciders. The cider has a sweet, appley smell that reminds me of the fresh-pressed, non-alcoholic cider that you can find alongside cider donuts at apple orchards during the fall. Upon sipping the cider, there is a slight bite that causes a tingling sensation on your tongue, but it gradually fades over the course of the sip. A sweet flavor reminiscent of apple juice also hits you upfront. By mid sip, however, the sweetness becomes toned down, and the cider takes on some dryness, as well as a lemon flavor. The dryness and acidity linger until the end of the sip. Due to the initial sweetness, this is a semi-sweet cider, and the unfiltered nature of this cider, as well as its relative lack of carbonation, causes it to feel more medium bodied. Overall, I quite enjoyed this cider, even if it is sweeter than the ciders I usually drink. I found this cider to be very well balanced; the initial sweetness of the cider was balanced out by the dryness and acidity toward the end of the sip. I could see myself having more than one glass of this in a sitting.
Ramsay's Thoughts and Rating:
- Has a minor bite to it upfront that quickly fades.
- It's a more medium-heavy bodied cider, which is quite different from other ciders I've had.
- Its unfiltered quality gives it not only that heavier body but also a more unique flavor.
- It really reminds me of drinking orange juice in terms of consistency and flavor. For me, I notice a nice, apple flavor throughout the sip but also a sweet, citrus flavor, much like an orange.
- Because of all this, it lends itself to a sweeter profile but never becomes overpowering.
- Would easily have a couple of these in a sitting.
- For me this is a nice blend, worthy enough to have on a semi-regular basis.
Did you spot our new, wavy cider chalice in the photo? We couldn't help ourselves, and we decided to add to our growing collection of cider, beer, and wine glasses.
If you're like us and enjoy drinking out of fancy-looking but affordable glassware, you can click on the below button to view and/or buy the chalices on Amazon.