Cold Hollow Cider Mill: Barn Dance
Basic Info about the Cider
Cidery: Cold Hollow Cider Mill
Origin: Waterbury Center, VT, USA
Alcohol by volume: 6.9%
Color: Light gold, clear
Our Review of the Cider
Julia's Thoughts and Rating:
Barn Dance has a very appley aroma; it smells like the sweet, non-alcoholic cider that is ubiquitous in New England during the fall. It has a slight bite, as well as some tingling, upfront, but both dissipate relatively quickly. After the initial bite subsides, notes of sweet apple and honey come through and linger until mid sip. Toward the end of the sip, a lemon taste emerges and becomes the dominant flavor for the remainder of the sip. The cider finishes dry with some bitterness and slight acidity. Due to the sweetness upfront, this is a semi-dry cider that is in between light and medium bodied, leaning more toward light. In terms of carbonation, it is only slightly carbonated. Overall, this is an okay cider. It is better than most mass-produced ciders, but it is also not that memorable. I found the bitterness at the end to be a bit off-putting, and I likely would not buy this cider again.
Ramsay's Thoughts and Rating:
- Upfront is a sharp bite that is gone before you even notice.
- Has a light body. Even when you take a large sip, it never feels too heavy. Helps that it is pretty low on carbonation.
- Its flavor is interesting. For the first ¾ of the sip, it has that nice, refreshing appley taste you tend to expect from a cider, but for the last ¼ of the sip and aftertaste, I get a kind of pineapple flavor. It becomes more pronounced as I drink more of the cider.
- It is also not very acidic in its flavor profile.
- For me, it comes right in the middle in terms of dryness/sweetness. It is not lip-smacking dry, but it's not overly sweet either. To be clear, I notice the sweet fruit flavors, but they are delivered in such a way that the cider lends itself to some dryness where you want another sip relatively soon.
- I like the cider overall, but there isn’t anything outside of the pineapple taste that really sticks out to me. That said, it is a perfectly good choice to have with a meal at a restaurant or to pick up a 4 pack (though you might be hard pressed to find this outside of Waterbury Center, Vermont).