Downeast Cider: Drier Side
Basic Info about the Cider
Cidery: Downeast Cider
Origin: Boston, MA, USA
Alcohol by volume: 5.2%
Color: Yellow/orange with cloudiness (similar in color to pineapple juice)
Our Review of the Cider
Julia's Thoughts and Rating:
As with all Downeast Ciders, Drier Side is an unfiltered cider (be sure to shake it before drinking). It has a sharp bite upfront, but it mellows out about halfway through the sip. After that initial bite, a lemon flavor, as well as some acidity and tartness, come through, and that tart lemon flavor lingers until the end of the sip. The cider finishes with a subtle sweetness and a flavor akin to a Golden Delicious apple. This is an off-dry cider; although, I did find that the cider started to taste less dry as I took more sips. It is between light and medium bodied (the unfiltered quality makes it lean a bit toward medium bodied), and it does not have much carbonation. Overall, this is a decent cider, but I was not blown away by it. I would have preferred it to be drier, less acidic, and lighter bodied. If I were at a get together, I would likely only drink one of these before switching to something else.
Ramsay's Thoughts and Rating:
- Notice a sharp bite upfront that fades quickly and mellows out.
- Its body is more medium due to it being unfiltered, leaning slightly toward the lighter side of the scale. It is not too fizzy of a drink and only has a light amount of carbonation.
- The flavor is somewhat acidic. It has a distinct citrus-esque, tart lemon profile that you notice halfway through the sip. The apple flavor is there, but it tends to take a backseat to the lemony flavor.
- To me, this has an off-dry profile. Enough where at the end it can be lip smacking. However, there are some sweet notes that keep me coming back for more. I’d say it becomes less dry the more you drink of it.
- Overall, I like this cider. I enjoy the unfiltered quality. While I tend to prefer semi-sweet ciders, I like Drier Side. I enjoy the tartness in the flavor, and it stays consistent as you drink more, never becoming too extreme.
- I would have multiple of these in a sitting, but maybe not back to back.